Get down and dirty with this immersion dyeing class, a bit looser in approach than creating reproduceable colors. Students will learn the basics of how to safely color fabric using a dye bath and fiber reactive dyes, specifically procion mx dyes. It is a good introduction to dye safety and the process of immersion dyeing with no mathematical equations to create a reproduceable color. Color is free and loose and open to interpretation. Regardless of your project, this class is a foundational class and a good introduction to the world of dyeing.
Supply list as follows.
- procion mx dyes, purchased on line from Dharma Trading Co., Pro Chemical and Dye, Dick Blick or from you local art store.
- Fabric, either cellulose (cottons, rayons, bamboos etc) or silks
- Sharpie Marker
- label stickers (optional)
- Pinking shears (optional)
- Equipment necessary for this class is reviewed in the first lesson.